You might have noticed that things have been a bit quiet around here lately. Regular programming should resume this week, but perhaps you’d like to know what’s been going on since your erstwhile book recommender and poetry pusher disappeared. Since the last time I wrote:
- We moved into our first house, which we are really, really excited about. It’s just the right size for us (and the obscene number of books I own), and for the first time in ten years my desk is not in the dining room. Also we named our house Bag End.
- We’ve visited with two dozen friends and family members at the house in under a month, which is awesome, and possibly explains why I’ve read a grand total of only four books and completely neglected this site since we moved.
- I’ve had another story and another poem (both quite short) published, which I’m also, really excited about. There are links over on carolynoliver.net if you’re interested.
- We took an actual vacation with my family to Rhode Island, where I read three of the four books I just mentioned and saw four movies in a movie theater. Totally recommend the new Star Trek, btw.
- I discovered that a month away from blogging is a bit too long for my taste. I’ve missed writing about books, and reading what other bloggers have to say about them. Onward!
24 thoughts on “What I Did on My (Impromptu) Summer Vacation”
Everything about your summer vacation sounds wonderful! It’s nice to have a little more space, isn’t it? And, congratulations on your new publications!! 🙂
Things have been slow over on my blog this summer, too, but I’ll be good and ready to come back once I have more time again!
Thank you Naomi! I’ve found over the last few years that blogging is pretty much always slow in summer–there’s so much going on outside, and kids are home from school; I think people have more time to read (books and blogs) once the cool weather hits.
Congratulations, Carolyn! And I love the idea of having a house to accommodate all your books. I’d love to see photos someday or hear about how you’ve arranged your books! Your summer sounds wonderful as Naomi wrote and I am envious that you have done so well during a move. Enjoy!
Thank you Cecilia! I’ll definitely put up some posts with pictures of the shelves, packed to the gunnels as they are . . . (And we had help from my dad and my sister to entertain H when we moved/unpacked–invaluable.)
Congrats Carolyn! I like the Heist story. Reminds me of how Emma Donoghue takes news items and imagines what the people would have been like (have you read Astray?)
I was just thinking about you because my brother proposed a Paradise Lost read-along. So obviously I will be referring to your readalong (was it really 2014? I thought it was only last year…)
Thanks Laura! I haven’t read Astray (or any of her novels, actually–just an academic book on portrayals of same-sex female desire in lit)–did you like it?
And yay for PL readalongs! I shall read your posts with great interest. Also, I’ve been seeing all the good press for your summer of Cecilia readalong! Bummed I couldn’t join this time.
Good to have you back in the blog world! Congratulations on the new home and the publications. It’s great that you could have a real vacation and spend lots of time with friends and family.
Thank you! I hope your move goes smoothly and that the train trip was relaxing (despite Brexit).
It was an amazing trip. It’s been a bummer having to settle back into ordinary/post-Brexit life and prepare for a house move.
I’m sorry—but hey, at least unpacking the books feels wonderful, right?
Yes, I’m looking forward to that part!
Oh, congrats on your move and on your publications! It’ll be lovely to have you back.
Thanks, Elle! I hope the summer’s been treating you kindly.
Your summer vacation sounds great! I imagine you’re looking forward to some quiet times after all that busyness, settling into your new home and getting back to regular blogging. Congratulations on your publications and the new house! 🙂
Thank you Grace! I hope your summer has been relaxing and fun!
We have missed you, but I’m glad you got a vacation! And I just want to say that I love how this post reads as a Victorian novel’s introduction. I can’t wait to read what you’ve recently published. Congrats on the new house!
Thank you Emily! I caught a bit of your adventures in India–so exciting!
Congratulations on that short story and poetry! Wow! What an accomplishment!
Thank you Kay! I’m busting my buttons (and trying and failing to find more time to write!).
Carolyn, I tried the link for your poem, Shift, and it doesn’t resolve. You might want to check it (on carolynoliver.net).
Kay, you’re a lifesaver. I’ve fixed the link, so it should work now.
Oh, good! I will look.
Congrats on the publications AND the new house! I thoroughly enjoyed the new Star Trek as well.
Thanks Geoff! Hope your summer has been delightful!